Sep.27 (GMM) The controversial pit entry at Singapore has been modified ahead of Saturday's official action on the new street circuit.
Several drivers voiced their concerns to race director Charlie Whiting after several near misses during Friday practice.
With limited options available, officials elected to extend the pit entry line away from the pits, towards turn 21.
The main problem with the former solution was that cars entering the pits would round the final turn on the racing line, but at significantly reduced speed.
The new solution compels drivers to commit to the pit entry earlier, providing additional warning to those following.
Drivers had also raised concerns over the pit exit, but stewards saw no reason to change the configuration. Negotiating traffic emerging from the pits is standard practice in formula one, they deemed, with similar pit exits existing at circuits such as Albert Park and Monza.
Giancarlo Fisichella, meanwhile, proved drivers' concerns right about the high kerbs at the chicane when he crashed heavily in pre-qualifying Saturday practice.
World champion Kimi Raikkonen had to sit out the final moments of the hour-long session after running into an escape road, while David Coulthard spent most of practice in the pits with a gearbox problem.
As in the second practice on Friday, Fernando Alonso topped the Saturday practice timesheets, ahead of championship contenders Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa, and his Renault teammate Nelson Piquet.
Written: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:48:43
- September 23, 2010Singapore weather watch
- October 02, 2009Vettel disputes Singapore penalty
- September 24, 2009Singapore confirms track changes
- August 31, 2009FIA looking at '08 Singapore result
- February 03, 2009Singapore track changes
- November 23, 2008Singapore track widened for 2009 race
- October 11, 2008Team meeting gets heated
- October 09, 2008Red Bull tram claim countered
- September 27, 2008Singapore pit entry altered
- September 27, 2008Pit entry concerns
- (September 27, 2008)View all headlines from this date