Jan.28 (GMM) Like Australia, fellow faraway formula one race host Malaysia will also stage a 'twilight' grand prix beginning in 2009, it has emerged.
Instead of agreeing to install expensive floodlighting and run a Singapore-like night race, organisers of the Australian grand prix in melbourne last year negotiated to postpone the race start-time to 5pm beginning in 2009.
"Obviously, the later it is the better. I suppose it is easier getting up in Europe at 6am than 3am," a half-satisfied F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone said last year.
Also to benefit European television viewers, it appears Malaysia has also agreed to the 'twilight' scheme, as the FIA on Tuesday confirmed the 5pm race start-time for both opening rounds of the 2009 championship.
Ecclestone's Formula One Administration, meanwhile, confirmed that qualifying in Melbourne and Sepang will also take place at 5pm local time.
Written: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:22:15
- April 03, 2010Qualifying red flagged
- April 01, 2010Monsoon hits Sepang on Thursday
- April 01, 2010Johnny Herbert to be F1 steward
- March 31, 2010Rain for Malaysia?
- September 15, 2009Lotus name to return in 2010
- April 04, 2009Malaysia - it's raining
- April 01, 2009Heavy rain for Malaysia
- January 28, 2009Malaysia agrees to 'twilight' race
- March 23, 2008UpdateF1 Live
- March 23, 2008New rule to prevent slow cars in qualifying
- (January 28, 2009)View all headlines from this date